The Diploma in Acting for film & stage is a popular programme for individuals aspiring to pursue a career as professional actors and performers. Designed by Anupam Kher, the course follows a rigorous and experiential training schedule, mentored by the some of the best acting faculty at the institute.
The course follows a disciplined approach, incorporating a broad array of classes that train the actor in key aspects such as emotions, voice, body, speech & diction, creativity, imagination, characterization, auditioning techniques and method acting. Yoga, martial arts and dance are other finishing skills provided within the scope of this programme. Actors are also taught the techniques of auditioning, and are also provided assistance to look for work. As a part of their overall development, the institute invites professionals from the media and entertainment industry to interact with the students. Robert De Niro, Danny Boyle, Varun Dhawan, Vidya Balan, Ranbir Kapoor, Anil Kapoor, Vicky Kaushal, Abhishek Bachchan, Russell Peters and Shabana Azmi are some of the guests who have visited the institute and interacted with the actors.
The training is designed to help each student progress from a basic level to an advanced stage.
The first half of the programme focuses on developing the body, voice and imagination. At the beginning, students go through a process of self-discovery where they learn how to shed their inhibitions and express themselves. From here begins the process of molding them mentally and physically as actors. An actor’s body needs to communicate character and emotion. Through intensive movement sessions and body culture training, students will become more open and expressive. Participation in intensive creativity building activities will help them develop a deeper sense of imagination which they will in turn use to react and respond truthfully in various simulations, thus being able to apply themselves effectively as actors. In this section, students will also extensively explore and experiment with the various techniques of acting from classical to modern. They then move further to learn how to evoke and express various powerful emotions in a realistic and impactful manner that captures the attention of their audience whether on stage or screen.
The second half of the programme is devoted to the application of all the skills learnt in the previous segment to scene work, stage performances and monologues. Students are encouraged to participate in various acting assignments and performances thus improving their confidence. Students will be provided with intensive training in screen acting and modern on-camera acting techniques. They will also work on developing their sensory skills that will help them recreate honest experiences that will be useful in acts. Understanding how to create and portray characters truthfully, working with scripts and using improvisation techniques in performances form an intricate part of this segment. Each student is made to perform repeatedly with increased level of difficulty in the scenes, including having to project a complex layer of emotions convincingly. Students will also participate in self-introduction and audition procedures that will help them be better prepared to ace the actual auditions for when they give one in reality.
Throughout the programme students will also interact with professionals from the media and entertainment industry including actors, directors, photographers, casting directors etc. Actors who successfully complete the programme will be awarded an Actor Prepares Diploma. As a culmination of the programme, each student, who now has evolved into a trained professional actor, is invited to perform a monologue act before a live audience in our studios. The video of this performance will be handed to the actors to serve as a showreel for them. In addition actors will be advised on how to pursue career as professional actors and also will be provided placement assistance in the form of audition information for Film, TV and Web series.
PART TIME, 6 MONTH
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 4.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: 5.00 pm to 8:00 pm
Sunday is a holiday
Batch start dates for 2020
2nd March 2020
Note: Timings and schedules may be subject to change during the course of the programme.
- Applicants for the Diploma in Acting will need to submit an audition video, a detailed application form and a nonrefundable registration fee of Rs. 250.
- Age eligibility for the Diploma in Acting is 18 years and above. However for individuals with exceptional potential, the age restriction can be relaxed to allow those below 18 years of age to be admitted with parental consent.
- Admissions for this course is subject to the applicant clearing the audition procedure. No direct admissions offered. Applicants are expected to follow the admission process carefully and as per the deadlines communicated.
- Incomplete forms or auditions that do not follow the guidelines will be rejected and the registration fee will be forfeited.
- Applicants who have successfully cleared the audition procedure will be notified of their selection via email with instructions on how to secure their admission.
- The Diploma in Acting programme is offered only at our Santacruz and Andheri Centers in the city of Mumbai.
- Download Admission Guidelines here
- Total fee (when paid in full): ₹ 225,000
- For those who prefer paying in installments:
- Diploma (full time, 3 month): Three installments of ₹ 79,000 each, on dates as shared by the management. Total fee (when paid in 3 installments): ₹ 237,000
- Diploma (part time, 6 month): Five installments of ₹ 47,400 each, on dates as shared by the management. Total fee (when paid in 5 installments): ₹ 237,000
- The management offers an Early Bird Discount for admissions into the Diploma in Acting Programme. Please consult our management for details.
- Please read the Administrative Guidelines carefully before applying.